And to think the first one kick's off next week. Whew! As thrilled I am that I have a nearly full class of 12 people next week, it seems to take up most of my days this week in preparation. Between the printing & stapling little packets together and the grocery shopping that needs to get done, long winded elaborate dinners are the last thing on my mind.
Hence the spicy salmon summer rolls are the perfect answer.
Not only do these refreshing summery bites call to our love for salmon but the wonderful medley of flavors, honest and un-fussy rejuvenate my taste buds in a way few things can. Not to mention these are down right healthful and perfect for the clammy 83 deg weather that seems to be here to stay.
I hope to see you next week at the cooking class, sign-up details for which are here ~
Toast the summer with this wonderful Italian-style luncheon meant to be savored in the company of good friends and family. Learn the secrets of these Italian classics with simple preparations and heady flavors: Herb & Ricotta Crostinis, Marinated Vegetable Salads & Sicilian classics such as Pasta alla Norma & Swordfish with Lemon & Herbs. When the cool breeze of the evening whispers, it's time for sweet delights : flavors of fresh baked Biscotti & summer fruit Crostata
The class is almost filled up so hurry and I hope to see you there!
8-10 sheets 'Bang Trang' or similar brand Vietnamese rice paper, 1 lb fresh Atlantic salmon fillet, 1/2 English cucumber, 3-4 radishes, 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves, 5 green onions, 1/2 large ripe Califlornia avocado, 1/2 Jalapeno pepper, 3 tbs mayonnaise, & 1 tsp wasabi powder. Also required is a large flat dish with warm water & a clean surface for rolling summer rolls, a kitchen paper towel & a very sharp Chef's knife.
Dipping sauce ~ 1/4 cup Ponzu, 1 tbs Mirin cooking rice wine, 1 tsp Sriracha sauce, 2 tbs honey, 1/2 tbs sesame oil, 1/4 tsp black ground pepper & 1/2" fresh ginger root
- Freeze the salmon on a plate for 15 minutes.
- In a bowl combine the mayonnaise, wasabi powder and the jalapeno. Stir to combine. Refrigerate till needed.
- Meanwhile prepare the other ingredients :
- Radishes - Using the thinnest setting on a mandoline, slice and set aside
- Green onions - Cut and discard root ends. Thinly slice on a diagonal and set aside.
- Cucumber - Cut into 1/8" thick circles. Do not peel. Then stack 4-5 slices and cut into 1/8" thick strips. Repeat till all the cucumber has been cut.
- Avocado - Peel, discard the seed and thinly slice into 8 slices.
- Cilantro - Discard thick stalks and retain the leaves on slender stalks, elaving as is.
- Jalapeno - Halve, de-seed and cut into thin slices. Then cut cross-wise to finely chop. Thoroughly wash hands with soap and water after, to get rid of chilli oils.
- Remove the chilled salmon from the freezer and on a clean cutting board, slice the entire salmon fillet into 1/8" thick slices on an slight angle.
- In a flat dish pour warm water and gather all the ingredients surrounding a clean surface area like a cutting board or butcher block.
- Place 1 rice paper into the warm water. Count to 3 and flip over and count to 3.
- Remove the rice paper from the warm water - do not wait for the paper to soften.
- Pat dry the rice paper with a clean kitchen paper towel (you will see that the paper has now softened)
- Place 3 strip of salmon at the bottom third of the rice paper at a diagonal.
- Layer as follows - some radishes, green onions, cucumber, 3# dollops of 1/2 tsp mayonnaise spread along the length, 1 avocado slice, and 2 sprigs of cilantro. Use less filling than you think you should, if you overstuff the wrapper it will tear.
- Carefully fold the bottom of the wrapper up to cover the filling. Fold in the left and right sides, then tuck and roll it over once. Tuck in the sides and keep rolling tight as you go till you get to the very end. Place the summer roll on a platter or plate.
- Continue till all the summer rolls are prepared.
- Tightly cover with plastic cling wrap and place in the refrigerator for atleast an hour.
- Dipping sauce - Place all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine. Leave at room temperature till ready to serve.
- Serve the rolls chilled with the dipping sauce. The rolls look really pretty if you serve them on a plate cut at a diagonal. Arrange on each plate, 2 per person.
Soft yet crunchy and very easy to make with a the sauce is the perfect mix of sweet and hot. The flavors will have you swooning and the jalapeno mayonnaise is just so very good with the Asian dipping sauce.
I regret making only 8. Next time this shall be remedied.